Catalan Spinach Sauté
In minutes, standard pantry items can transform frozen spinach into a satisfying side dish or omelet filling.
From EatingWell: October 1997, The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Yield: 4 servings, about 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound frozen cut-leaf spinach
- 1/4 cup currants
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- Balsamic vinegar, to taste
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet; add onion and garlic and sauté until beginning to soften. Add spinach and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Stir in currants, pine nuts, a splash of balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
Nutrition Per serving:
120 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 5 g fiber; 122 mg sodium; 557 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (270% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Folate (39% dv), Calcium (20% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 fat