Cauliflower with Lemon & Olives
Tangy lemon and briny olives perk up simple steamed cauliflower.
From EatingWell: January/February 2010
Yield: 6 servings, scant 1 cup each
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 large head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped oil-cured or kalamata olives
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add cauliflower, cover and steam until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove skin and white pith from lemons with a sharp knife. Working over a bowl, cut segments from the membranes. Coarsely chop the segments and transfer to a serving bowl. Squeeze juice from the lemon peel and membranes and add 1 tablespoon of the juice to the bowl with the segments.
- Add oil, shallot, water, thyme, salt and pepper to the serving bowl. Stir to combine. Add the cauliflower and toss to coat. Sprinkle with olives. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Per serving:
89 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 199 mg sodium; 387 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (110% daily value), Folate (17% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat