Cauliflower with Gruyere Sauce
Plain steamed or microwaved cauliflower turns into something extraordinary when you cover it with this rich-tasting twist on a classic cheese sauce.
From EatingWell: February/March 2005, The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)
Yield: 4 servings, 1 1/2 cups each
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 8 cups bite-size cauliflower florets, (about 1 head)
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 1% milk, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese, (2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives, or chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, (1 small clove)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place cauliflower florets in a steamer basket over boiling water, cover and steam until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. (Alternatively, place florets in a microwave-safe bowl with 1/4 cup water, cover and microwave on High for 2 to 4 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, whisk flour with 2 tablespoons milk until smooth. Heat the remaining milk in a saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Add the flour mixture; cook, whisking, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in Gruyere, chives (or parsley), garlic, salt and pepper. Spoon over the cauliflower and serve.
Nutrition Per serving:
136 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 247 mg sodium; 386 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (145% daily value), Calcium (24% dv), Folate (23% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat