Cauliflower with New Mornay Sauce
A topping of Mornay sauce is a delicious treatment for numerous vegetables: broccoli, asparagus, fennel, Belgian endive, to name a few. In our revised version, we have replaced some of the high-fat cheeses and cream with low-fat cottage cheese, which contributes a rich dairy flavor without the fat. Even children will eat cauliflower prepared this way.Yield: 8 servings
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 60
- 1 head cauliflower, (about 1 3/4 pounds), cut into large florets
- 1 1/4 cups nonfat milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese, preferably Gruyère
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black or white pepper
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unseasoned fine dry breadcrumbs
- Set rack in upper portion of oven; preheat to 375°F. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking or gratin dish with cooking spray.
- Place cauliflower florets in a steamer basket over boiling water, cover and steam until tender but not soft, 5 to 7 minutes. (Alternatively, place florets in a microwave-safe bowl with 1/4 cup water, cover and microwave on High for 1 to 3 minutes.) Refresh under cool water and set aside.
- Scald 1 cup milk in a medium heavy saucepan over medium heat. Stir together flour and the remaining 1/4 cup cold milk in a small bowl to make a smooth paste. Stir into the hot milk mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in cottage cheese, Swiss cheese, salt and pepper. Transfer sauce to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- Spread one-third of the sauce in prepared baking dish. Arrange the steamed cauliflower over it and top with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan and breadcrumbs. Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3; cover and refrigerate the sauce and steamed cauliflower separately for up to 1 day.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||3 g (2 g sat, 1 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin C (56% daily value), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Serving 1/2
Exchanges 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat