Celery Root Puree
Everyone loves mashed potatoes, but this celery root puree is a worthy competitor.Yield: 8 servings, about 1/2 cup each
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 30
- 4 cups low-fat milk
- 3 cups water
- 3 pounds celery root, peeled (see Tip) and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring milk, water and celery root to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat. Reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until very tender, about 30 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid, then drain.
- Puree the celery root, butter, salt and pepper in a food processor (or blender) until smooth and the consistency of thinned mashed potatoes. Add some of the reserved cooking liquid, if necessary, for the right consistency.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days; gently reheat on the stovetop, adding a little milk or water, if needed.
- Tip: To peel celery root, remove the thick skin with a knife or use a vegetable peeler and peel around the root at least three times to make sure to remove the layer of the fibrous skin.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||3 g (2 g sat, 1 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Serving 1
Exchanges 1 starch, 1 fat
From EatingWell November/December 2011