Cheddar Cauliflower Soup
Start your meal off with a bowl of this satisfying, easy cheesy cauliflower soup.Yield: 8 servings, 1 cup each
Active Time: 35
Total Time: 35
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced and rinsed
- 4 cups chopped cauliflower florets (from 1 medium head)
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring, until very soft, about 5 minutes. Add cauliflower, 2 cups milk, water, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is soft, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1/2 cup milk and flour in a small bowl. When the cauliflower is soft, remove the bay leaf and stir in the milk mixture. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the soup has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese and lemon juice.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||11 g (5 g sat, 3 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin C (45% daily value), Calcium (27% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Serving 1
Exchanges 1 vegetable, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1 high-fat meat
From EatingWell January/February 2010