A fruit crisp offers the luscious flavor of a fresh fruit pie without the fuss of making a crust. Celebrate the arrival of cherries with this rich-tasting crisp. The nut-studded topping works great with other fruit combinations too.
From EatingWell: The Simple Art of EatingWell
Yield: 8 servings, 1/2 cup each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet cherries (5 cups), fresh or frozen, pitted
- 1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon kirsch or brandy (optional)
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon chopped almonds or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking dish (or similar 1 1/2- to 2-quart dish) with cooking spray.
- To prepare filling, combine cherries, raspberries, granulated sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and kirsch (or brandy), if using, in a large bowl; toss to coat. Place the filling in the prepared baking dish. Cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make topping. Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl with a fork. Add butter and blend with a pastry blender or your fingertips. Add oil and stir to coat. Add orange juice concentrate and blend with your fingertips until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- After 20 minutes, stir the fruit filling and sprinkle the topping evenly over it. Sprinkle with almonds (or walnuts). Bake, uncovered, until the fruit is bubbly and tender and the topping is lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes more. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Per Serving: 245 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 36 mg sodium; 331 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (38% daily value)
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 carbohydrate, 1 fat