Puffed Cherry Pancake
This puffed cherry pancake is similar to an Apfelpfannkuchen—a puffy German pancake full of apples. Dust it with confectioners’ sugar or drizzle with maple syrup for a special breakfast treat.
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (see Tips) or all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 2 cups halved pitted sweet or sour cherries, fresh or frozen (thawed, drained; see Tips)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Confectioners’ sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place 1 teaspoon butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet or ovenproof nonstick skillet and transfer to the oven to melt the butter.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a small pan or the microwave. Transfer to a medium bowl and whisk in milk, eggs and vanilla. Add flour, granulated sugar, salt and cinnamon and whisk to combine.
- Remove the pan from the oven, tilting it to coat the bottom with butter. Add cherries in a layer. Pour the batter over the cherries and sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake the pancake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before cutting into 4 wedges. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
- Tips: Whole-wheat pastry flour is milled from soft wheat. It contains less gluten than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure a tender result in delicate baked goods while providing the nutritional benefits of whole grains. Find it at large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Store in an airtight container in the freezer.
- To pit fresh cherries, use a tool made for the job—a hand-held cherry pitter; it also works for olives! Or pry out the pit with the tip of a knife or vegetable peeler.
Nutrition Per serving:
252 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 151 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 4 g fiber; 140 mg sodium; 312 mg potassium.
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 medium fat meat, 1 1/2 fat