What says summer more than cherry pie?
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Yield: 8 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours (includes cooling time)
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 4 pieces
Filling & Glaze
- 5 cups sour cherries, (about 2 pounds), pitted
- 3/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk
- To make crust: Blend egg and 2 teaspoons lemon juice in a glass measuring cup with a fork.
- Combine cottage cheese, oil, 2 tablespoons sugar, vanilla and salt in a food processor; process until smooth and creamy, stopping once to scrape down the sides of the workbowl. Add flour and butter; pulse about 6 times, just until butter is in pea-size pieces. Add egg mixture and pulse just until dough begins to clump together. (Do not let it form a ball.) Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 2 pieces, one slightly larger than the other. Form each piece into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 days.
- Coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray. Roll the larger piece of dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Roll dough over rolling pin, then unroll into prepared pan. Gently press dough into bottom and sides of pan. With scissors, trim excess pastry, leaving a 3/4-inch overhang. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
- Roll the smaller piece of dough on a lightly floured surface into an 11-inch circle. Roll dough over rolling pin, then unroll onto a sheet of parchment or wax paper. Using a pastry wheel, preferably serrated, or a sharp knife, cut dough into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Carefully transfer paper to a baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
- To make filling & bake pie: Position oven rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 425°F.
- Toss cherries with 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and almond extract in a large bowl. Spoon into crust.
- Weave pastry strips about 1/2 inch apart to form a lattice over the filling. Trim strips at edge of pie pan. Turn overhanging pastry up over rim; press to seal and decoratively flute edges. Brush milk over lattice top and sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Set pie on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Cover edges of crust with aluminum foil to prevent overbrowning. Reduce oven temperature to 375° and bake until crust is golden and juices are bubbling, 40 to 50 minutes more. Cool on a wire rack.
- Make Ahead Tip: The crust can be prepared through Step 2 up to 2 days in advance.
Nutrition Per serving:
386 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 61 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 216 mg sodium; 235 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (29% daily value), Vitamin C (21% dv), Selenium (19% dv).
4 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 other carbohydrate, 2 1/2 fat