Savory Chestnut Puree
Try this easy, elegant chestnut puree with roasted quail, turkey or chicken.Yield: 4 servings, about 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 25
Total Time: 45
- 1 14-ounce jar roasted chestnuts (see Tip)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine chestnuts, broth, water, thyme and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, partially covered, until the chestnuts easily break apart, 10 to 20 minutes. Remove the thyme.
- Transfer the chestnut mixture to a food processor; puree until the mixture is very smooth and has the consistency of a thick spread. Add a little more broth if a thinner consistency is desired. Return the puree to the pan; cover to keep warm.
- Reheat over low heat just before serving; thin with a little water, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 up to 1 hour in advance.
- Tip: Cooked peeled chestnuts are available in jars in the baking aisle or with seasonal foods at many supermarkets.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||2 g (0 g sat, 1 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin C (47% daily value), Potassium (20% dv), Folate (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Serving 3 1/2
Exchanges 3 1/2 starch
From EatingWell November/December 2011