It’s easy to make your own patty sausage with just a few healthy ingredients like ground chicken, apples, onion and savory spices like sage and fennel. You can use ground turkey instead of ground chicken if you prefer.
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
Yield: 8 patties
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet apple, such as Gala or Honeycrisp, peeled and diced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel fennel seed, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add apples and cook, stirring, 2 more minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and cool for 5 minutes. Wipe out the pan.
- Add chicken, sage, sugar, fennel, salt and pepper to the bowl with the apples and onions. Gently mix to combine.
- Generously coat the pan with cooking spray and heat over medium. Using a 1/3-cup measure, scoop 4 portions of the sausage mixture into pan, flattening each into a 3-inch patty. Cook until the patties are browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side, adjusting the heat as necessary to prevent burning. Coat the pan with cooking spray again and repeat with remaining sausage mixture.
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze the cooked sausage in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Per patty:
112 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 49 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 0 g fiber; 253 mg sodium; 332 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 medium fat meat