Stovetop Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
We trimmed 9 grams of fat and almost 100 calories in this makeover of cheesy chicken-and-broccoli casserole. All the raw ingredients are layered in a skillet, then simmered for a quick weeknight dinner.
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 25
Total Time: 40
- 8 ounces whole-wheat egg noodles
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 14- to 16-ounce package frozen broccoli florets, thawed and chopped, if desired
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Colby-Jack or Cheddar cheese
- Place noodles in a large skillet. Pour broth over the noodles. Layer chicken, then broccoli over the noodles.
- Whisk milk, mayonnaise, flour, dry mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour over the broccoli.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until the noodles and chicken are cooked through, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- When the casserole is done, sprinkle cheese on top and broil until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving: 446 calories; 15 g fat (7 g sat, 4 g mono); 75 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 33 g protein; 6 g fiber; 662 mg sodium; 424 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Calcium (30% dv), Vitamin A (23% dv), Folate (16% dv)
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat