Chicken in Garlic-Vinegar Sauce
Braising chicken in vinegar and herbs is a very popular way of cooking in Mediterranean Europe. Often paired with sweet sausage, this is a gutsy, wholesome dish that can be made a day ahead. Serve with whole-wheat couscous tossed with fresh herbs and steamed broccolini.
From EatingWell: January/February 2009
Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- 3-3 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, (thighs, drumsticks and/or breasts), skin removed, trimmed (see Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, plus a pinch, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 7 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 16 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/3 cup sherry vinegar, or red-wine vinegar
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh chives
- Pat chicken pieces dry with paper towels and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil and butter in a large heavy casserole or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add half the chicken pieces and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to a large plate. Add 2 teaspoons oil to the pot. Add the remaining chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to the plate.
- Heat 2 more teaspoons oil. Add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until the shallots are soft and lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add vinegar and bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pot. Pour in broth and then carefully nestle the thyme sprigs among the chicken pieces (or stir in dry thyme).
- Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and simmer over medium-low heat until the chicken is very tender, about 50 minutes.
- Just before the chicken is done, whisk sour cream, mustard, tomato paste and flour in a small bowl until smooth. Combine tomatoes, chives, the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and pinch of salt in another small bowl; reserve for garnish.
- When the chicken is done, remove to a plate, discarding the thyme sprigs (if using). Stir the sour cream mixture into the sauce; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, return the chicken to the sauce and reheat, about 1 minute. Serve garnished with the tomato mixture.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4; cool to room temperature and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Finish with Steps 5-6 before serving.
- Tip: If you are using a combination of thighs, drumsticks and breasts, cut each breast in half crosswise to make pieces about the size of a thigh. And if you buy whole legs, separate the drumsticks and thighs. When the pieces are about the same size, they'll cook at about the same rate.
Nutrition Per Serving: 315 calories; 15 g fat (5 g sat, 7 g mono); 123 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 1 g fiber; 358 mg sodium; 587 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Potassium (17% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 2 fat