Chicken Piccata with Pasta & Mushrooms
Our chicken piccata, served over whole-wheat pasta, has a rich lemon-caper sauce that's made with extra-virgin olive oil and just a touch of butter for flavor. If you like, you can use a mild fish like tilapia or even shrimp instead of chicken breast.
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 6 ounces whole-wheat angel hair pasta
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 chicken cutlets, (3/4-1 pound total), trimmed
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 10-ounce package mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until just tender, 4 to 6 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
- Meanwhile, whisk 5 teaspoons flour and broth in a small bowl until smooth. Place the remaining flour in a shallow dish. Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and dredge both sides in the flour. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned and no longer pink in the middle, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; cover and keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they release their juices and begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add garlic and wine to the pan and cook until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the reserved broth-flour mixture, lemon juice and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, capers, butter and the reserved mushrooms. Measure out 1/2 cup of the mushroom sauce. Toss the pasta in the pan with the remaining sauce. Serve the pasta topped with the chicken and the reserved sauce.
Nutrition Per Serving: 397 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 54 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 5 g fiber; 544 mg sodium; 609 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (37% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Iron (16% dv).
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat