Shawarma is a Middle Eastern sandwich made with sliced seasoned meat. This version features chicken, along with a cucumber-yogurt sauce, fresh tomato and crunchy romaine lettuce.
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 45
Total Time: 45
- 1 cup shredded English cucumber
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 6-inch whole-wheat pita breads or lavash
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Stir cucumber, yogurt, tahini, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Combine garlic powder, curry powder, pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in another medium bowl. Slice chicken breast crosswise into 1/4-inch strips; toss with the spice mixture to coat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and toss to combine.
- Grill the chicken, turning once, until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.
- To serve, spread 1/4 cup of the cucumber-yogurt sauce on a pita (or lavash) and top with one-fourth of the chicken, tomato and lettuce. Fold like a taco (or roll closed, if using lavash). Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Magnesium (20% dv), Iron & Vitamin C (18% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Zinc (16% dv), Folate (15% dv)
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat