Chickpea & Potato Hash
The eggs cook right on top of this chickpea and potato hash—cook them a few extra minutes if you prefer hard-set eggs. Serve with warm pita bread and a cucumber salad with mint and yogurt.Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 25
Total Time: 25
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 2 cups finely chopped baby spinach
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 4 large eggs
- Combine potatoes, spinach, onion, ginger, curry powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the potato mixture and press into a layer. Cook, without stirring, until crispy and golden brown on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Fold in chickpeas and zucchini, breaking up chunks of potato, until just combined. Press back into an even layer. Carve out 4 “wells” in the mixture. Break eggs, one at a time, into a cup and slip one into each indentation. Cover and continue cooking until the eggs are set, 4 to 5 minutes for soft-set yolks.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||20 g (4 g sat, 13 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin C (39% daily value), Vitamin A (36% dv), Folate (32% dv), Iron (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Serving 2
Exchanges 2 1/2 starch, 1 medium-fat, 3 fat
From EatingWell May/June 2012