Chickpea & Red Onion Salad
Slivered red onions, canned chickpeas and capers combine in a delightful Mediterranean-inspired salad. Make it a meal: Delightful served alongside grilled chicken thighs or shrimp kebobs.
Yield: 4 servings, generous 1/2 cup each
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1/4 cup slivered red onion
- 1 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon drained capers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Red leaf lettuce leaves
- Place onion in a medium bowl, cover with cold water and let soak for 10 minutes. Drain well and place in a salad bowl.
- Add chickpeas, parsley, lemon juice, oil and capers; stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve on lettuce leaves.
Nutrition Per serving:
201 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 6 g fiber; 361 mg sodium; 298 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value).
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat