Green Chile Bison Burger
Take a trip to the Southwest with this juicy green-chile cheeseburger made with rich-tasting ground bison. You could make these with freshly roasted green chiles, but canned green chiles, which you can find near other Mexican food in most supermarkets, keep this recipe a snap to make when you’re in a hurry. Serve with a sliced tomato salad.
From EatingWell: May/June 2011
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 pound ground bison or lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 2 4-ounce cans diced green chiles, drained, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 1 cup very thinly sliced iceberg or romaine lettuce
- Preheat grill to medium-high (or see Stovetop Variation).
- Place onion in a small bowl and cover with cold water.
- Place bison (or beef), 1 can drained chiles, 1/4 cup cheese, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Gently combine without overmixing. Form into 4 patties, about 3/4 inch thick.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the burgers, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 155°F (165°F for beef), 4 to 5 minutes per side. Top each burger with an equal portion of the remaining green chiles and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Cook until the cheese is melted, about 1 minute more.
- Drain the onion. Assemble the burgers on toasted buns with onion and shredded lettuce.
- Tip: To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
- Stovetop Variation: Coat a nonstick pan, preferably cast-iron (or a grill pan), with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add burgers, reduce heat to medium and cook, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer registers 155°F (for pork and bison) or 165° (for beef or chicken), 4 to 5 minutes per side.
Nutrition Per serving:
349 calories; 15 g fat (6 g sat, 5 g mono); 75 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 4 g fiber; 678 mg sodium; 596 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (44% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Iron (28% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Magnesium & Potassium (17% dv), Folate (16% dv).
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat