Chiles Rellenos with Chicken
These pan-fried chiles rellenos are stuffed with a skinny chicken-and-corn filling. Serve with salsa or your favorite enchilada sauce.Yield: 8 servings, 2 rellenos each
Active Time: 105
Total Time: 105
- 16 medium-to-large poblano peppers or large New Mexico green chiles
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 large egg whites
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- Preheat broiler.
- Place peppers (or chiles) on a large baking sheet. Broil 4 to 6 inches from the heat source, turning once or twice, until the skins blacken and blister, about 10 minutes total. Transfer to a large bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Remove the blistered skin, leaving stems intact (see Tip). Make a slit lengthwise in each pepper and carefully remove the seeds. Set aside.
- Combine chicken, corn, cheese, scallions, yogurt and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Fill each roasted pepper with about 1/4 cup of the mixture. Fold the pepper over to completely enclose the filling.
- Combine the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and flour in a shallow dish. Put egg whites in another shallow dish and beat until frothy. Dip each pepper in the flour mixture to coat on all sides, brush off any excess and then dip into the egg whites.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Carefully set 4 peppers into the hot oil and cook until the cheese is melted and the peppers are golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove to a platter; tent with foil (or transfer to a 250°F oven) to keep warm. Repeat in 3 more batches with the remaining oil and peppers, reducing the heat as necessary to prevent overbrowning. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: To make ahead: Prepare through Step 4, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after removing the skin and seeds from chile peppers or wear rubber gloves.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||18 g (7 g sat, 8 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin C (372% daily value), Vitamin A (31% dv), Calcium (27% dv), Folate & Potassium (18% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Serving 1 1/2
Exchanges 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 high-fat meal, 1 1/2 fat
From EatingWell January/February 2012