Chili-Brown Sugar Delicata Squash with Pears
Pears and delicata squash tossed with brown sugar, chili powder and bacon is a delectable combination. To make this vegetarian, omit the bacon and toss the squash and pears with the brown sugar and chili powder during the last 5 minutes of roasting.
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Yield: 4 servings, about 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 pound delicata squash (about 1 large)
- 2 medium ripe but firm pears, sliced
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; scoop out the seeds. Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices. Toss in a large bowl with pears, oil, salt and pepper. Spread on a large baking sheet.
- Roast the squash and pears until just tender, stirring once or twice, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Discard all but 2 teaspoons fat from the pan. Over medium heat, stir in water, brown sugar and chili powder. Add the squash and pears; toss to coat. Crumble the bacon on top.
Nutrition Per serving:
160 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 6 g fiber; 250 mg sodium; 412 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (219% daily value), Vitamin C (31% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat