Chipotle Albondigas Soup
Just a bit of spicy chorizo sausage add lots of flavor to the meatballs in this hearty Mexican soup. Dandelion greens, carrots and corn are colorful additions.
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Yield: 6 servings, about 2 cups each
Active Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken or beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 1-2 limes, divided
- 4 ounces fresh chorizo, casing removed (1-2 links)
- 1/2 cup fine whole-grain cornmeal
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large egg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds lean (90% or leaner) ground beef or bison
- 6 cups chopped dandelion greens or chard, tough stems removed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1-2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- Bring broth and water to a simmer in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, zest and juice 1 lime; reserve the juice. Break up chorizo in a large bowl. Mix in cornmeal, scallions, cilantro, egg, garlic, oregano, pepper and the lime zest. Add meat. Gently mix to combine (do not overmix). Using 1 tablespoon for each, make about 40 small meatballs.
- Add greens, carrots and chipotle to taste to the simmering broth mixture, then add the meatballs. Simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in corn and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes more. Stir in 2 tablespoons lime juice. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the meatballs (Step 2) and freeze airtight, uncooked, for up to 3 months. Defrost before proceeding with Step 3.
Nutrition Per serving:
351 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 7 g mono); 105 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 4 g fiber; 734 mg sodium; 855 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (189% daily value), Vitamin C (49% dv), Zinc (40% dv), Iron (28% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Magnesium (17% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 medium-fat meat