Dramatically dark in color, these chewy bars are studded with dried tart cherries.
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
Yield: 15 bars
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs, (about 40 wafers)
- 1 cup chopped dried tart cherries, (4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat together eggs, egg white, sugar, vanilla and salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until the eggs are thick and pale, about 2 minutes. Gently fold in chocolate wafer crumbs and cherries with a rubber spatula just until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish; smooth the top. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool in the baking dish on a rack. Cut into 15 bars. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Nutrition Per serving:
155 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 139 mg sodium; 85 mg potassium.
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate