Chocolate-Cinnamon Bread Pudding
While American-style cocoa certainly works in this recipe, Dutch-process cocoa produces a deeper color and richer flavor.
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread or white bread, torn into small pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated skim milk
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 cups nonfat vanilla or coffee frozen yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread bread in the dish in an even layer.
- Whisk eggs in a medium bowl. Add evaporated skim milk, sugar, cocoa, vanilla and cinnamon; whisk the mixture until the sugar and cocoa dissolve. Pour the cocoa mixture over the bread. Mix in any unsoaked bread pieces. Sprinkle chocolate over the top and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Bake until puffed and set in the center, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm, with a scoop of frozen yogurt on top. The pudding is also good cold.
Nutrition Per serving:
321 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 73 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 218 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (30% daily value).
3 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate