Chocolate Cream Pie
Chocolate cream pie isn’t just a diner special—it’s the perfect dessert for any celebration. We love the added flair of chocolate curls on top, but a pretty dollop of whipped cream on each piece would look just as elegant.
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
Yield: 10 servings
Active Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 4 hours (including 3 hours chilling time)
- 7 ounces chocolate wafer cookies (about 32 small cookies)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate curls for garnish (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- To prepare crust: Process chocolate wafers in a food processor until finely ground. Add oil and milk; pulse until combined. Using your hands, press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pie pan. Bake for 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.
- To prepare filling: Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a large saucepan. Whisk milk and eggs in a medium bowl, then whisk into the sugar mixture. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until bubbles begin to form around the edges. Cook, stirring vigorously, for 2 minutes more. Strain through a sieve into a large bowl. Whisk in chocolate until completely melted.
- Pour the filling into the crust. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a “skin” from forming. Refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours.
- To prepare topping & decorate pie: Just before serving, beat cream and vanilla in a bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Smooth any lines on the pie’s surface with the back of a spoon. Spoon or pipe (with a pastry bag) 10 dollops of whipped cream around the edge of the pie. Garnish with chocolate curls.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4 and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Decorate just before serving.
- Tip: For bakery-worthy chocolate curls, start by softening a block of bittersweet or semisweet chocolate just a tad: microwave on 20% power (Low) in 15-second bursts until just barely softened, not warm. Use a vegetable peeler to shave the chocolate into curls.
Nutrition Per Serving: 309 calories; 15 g fat (6 g sat, 5 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 199 mg sodium; 162 mg potassium.
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat