Chocolate-Dipped Dried Apricots
Healthful bonbons are truly a gift of love.
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Yield: 24 candies
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 strips lemon zest
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup water
- 24 dried apricots, (about 1/4 pound)
- 2 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped peeled pistachios
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and place a wire rack on top.
- Combine sugar, lemon zest, cinnamon stick and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 3 minutes. Add apricots and gently simmer just until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the apricots with a slotted spoon to the rack. Let cool completely.
- Melt chocolate in a small metal bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Dip half of a poached apricot in the chocolate, letting excess drip off. Sprinkle some chopped pistachios over the chocolate half and return the apricot to the rack. Repeat with the remaining apricots. (You will have some melted chocolate left over.) Refrigerate until the chocolate has set, about 20 minutes.
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container, with wax paper between each layer, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Nutrition Per candy:
43 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 107 mg potassium.
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate