Chocolate Potato Cake
The surprise ingredient in this chocolate cake—mashed potatoes—keeps it exceptionally moist.
From EatingWell: January/February 1991
Yield: 12 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cold, plain, mashed potatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Confectioner's sugar, for dusting cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9-inch round cake pan and line the base with wax or parchment paper.
- Whisk together sugar, oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in potatoes. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in another bowl. Alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the egg mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients and stirring with a spoon or rubber spatula.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the top springs back when touched lightly, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Invert the cake onto a rack and let cool thoroughly. Transfer to a plate and sift confectioners’ sugar over top.
Nutrition Per serving:
222 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 36 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 107 mg sodium; 104 mg potassium.
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrates, 2 fat