Chocolate Velvet Pudding
Although instant mixes and premade chocolate puddings abound in every supermarket, they just can't compare with homemade. This reduced-fat version is almost as quick as a mix and delivers a rich chocolate flavor.
Yield: 4 servings, generous 1/2 cup each.
Active Time: 20
Total Time: 20
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 ounce bittersweet or semisweet (not unsweetened) chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whisk egg, condensed milk, cocoa, cornstarch and salt in a heavy saucepan until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until thickened, 7 to 9 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; add chocolate and vanilla, whisking until the chocolate melts. Transfer to a bowl. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Serve warm or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (23% daily value).
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate