Migas, scrambled eggs with strips of tortillas, is a tasty breakfast or quick dinner. Poblano peppers, onion and salsa on top ensure you get some veggies in your eggs.Yield: 8 servings, about 1 cup each
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 30
- 8 ounces Mexican-style chorizo (see Tip), casings removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (optional)
- 6 5- to 6-inch corn tortillas, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 32-ounce carton liquid egg substitute, such as Egg Beaters
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- Fresh salsa for serving (optional)
- Cook chorizo, onion and peppers in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the chorizo is cooked and the vegetables are softened, 6 to 9 minutes. Remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan; if there is no fat in the pan, add 1 tablespoon canola oil. Add the tortillas and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until beginning to brown and lightly crisp, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg substitute, oregano, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Once the tortillas are browned, add the egg mixture and the reserved chorizo mixture to the pan; cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggs are set, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in cilantro. Serve with salsa and more cilantro, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Mexican-style chorizo is an uncooked sausage, usually made from pork and seasoned with garlic, paprika and chiles. Look for it near other sausage in well-stocked supermarkets or Mexican grocers. Some chorizos are fattier than others. For this recipe, choose leaner-looking sausage if you can.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||15 g (5 g sat, 6 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin C (22% daily value), Zinc (19% dv), Iron (18% dv), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Serving 1
Exchanges 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 high-fat meat
From EatingWell January/February 2012