Use the turkey giblets and neck to make a flavorful stock for this citrus-spiked gravy. Or use 4 cups store-bought chicken broth.
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
Yield: about 2 1/2 cups
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 3/4 hours
Turkey Giblet Stock
- Neck and giblets (except liver) from a 10- to 12-pound turkey
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice or 4 teaspoons lemon juice plus 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- To prepare stock: Combine turkey neck and giblets, water, onion, carrot and celery in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Add bay leaf, thyme and peppercorns. Reduce heat and simmer, skimming and discarding any foam, for 1 hour. Strain stock through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl and let cool. Discard solids. If necessary, add enough water (or reduced-sodium chicken broth) to measure 4 cups stock.
- To prepare gravy: Remove the turkey from the roasting pan. Skim off any visible fat from the pan juices.
- Whisk 1/2 cup of the stock and flour in a small bowl until smooth; set aside.
- Set the roasting pan over two burners on medium heat. Add wine; bring to a boil and cook, scraping up the browned bits, until the liquid is reduced by about half, 2 to 4 minutes. Add the remaining 3 1/2 cups stock. Increase heat to medium-high; return to a boil, stirring often. Boil until the liquid is reduced by about half, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Whisk the reserved flour-stock mixture and add to the pan, whisking constantly, until the gravy thickens, 1 to 3 minutes. Stir in lemon juice (or lemon and orange juices). Remove from the heat and pour the gravy through a fine sieve into a large measuring cup. (Discard the solids.) Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare turkey giblet stock (Step 1); cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Nutrition Per Serving: 32 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 62 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
0 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: free food