Citrus-Scented Black Bean Soup with Chipotle Cream
Fresh orange and lime juices provide a citrus tang that balances the earthy, rich black beans and the light spice of smoky chipotle (actually dried and smoked jalapenos). To serve alongside, doctor up your favorite cornbread recipe with added corn kernels and Cheddar cheese baked in.
Yield: 2 servings, about 1 3/4 cups each
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 30
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream, divided
- Pinch of ground chipotle chile, (see Note)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Add cumin and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beans, water, orange zest and juice, salt and pepper; increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, stirring often. Transfer to a blender with cilantro, lime juice and 3 tablespoons sour cream. Puree until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids; see Tip.)
- Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon sour cream and ground chipotle in a small bowl. Serve the soup garnished with the chipotle cream and scallions.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeno peppers. Ground chipotle can be found in the specialty spice section of most supermarkets.
- Tip: Hot liquids can splatter out of a blender when it's turned on. To avoid this, remove the center piece of the lid. Loosely cover the hole with a folded kitchen towel and turn the blender on. Better airflow will keep the contents from spewing all over the kitchen—and yourself.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value), Iron (20% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
212 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 2 fat