Classic Beef Chili
This classic beef-and-bean chili gets a nutritional boost from shredded sweet potato. We call it a stealth vegetable because it melts into the chili so well that even picky eaters will gobble it up.
Yield: 8 servings, about 1 1/3 cups each
Active Time: 50
Total Time: 50
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean (90% or leaner) ground beef (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 cups water
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and shredded
- 2 15-ounce cans kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably petite diced
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 scallions, sliced
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until starting to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add beef and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and cayenne; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in water and sweet potato. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally and adjusting the heat as necessary to maintain a simmer, until the sweet potato is softened and beginning to break down, 6 to 8 minutes. Add beans, crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes; return to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally and adjusting the heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer, until the sweet potato starts to melt into the chili, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve topped with cheese and scallions.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Tip: Check the label to be sure you are buying lean ground meat. Anything labeled 90%-lean or higher is considered a healthy choice.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (148% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Iron (35% dv), Potassium (29% dv), Zinc (28% dv), Calcium (22% dv), Folate & Magnesium (21% dv)
1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat