For those who prefer creamy coleslaws to vinegary types, here's one that's rich-tasting with about a third of the calories and 80 percent less fat than a typical version.
From EatingWell: July/August 1996
Yield: 8 servings
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 9 cups shredded green cabbage, preferably Savoy (1 small head)
- 1 large green bell pepper, quartered and very thinly sliced
- 2 cups grated carrots
- Whisk mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, mustard and sugar in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add cabbage, bell pepper and carrots and toss until well combined.
Nutrition Per serving:
100 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 372 mg sodium; 338 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (111% daily value), Vitamin C (72% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat