This simplified Cobb salad is light and quick—perfect for a hurried summer night.
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Yield: 4 servings, 3 1/2 cups each
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 2 slices bacon
- 12 cups washed, dried and torn romaine lettuce
- 2/3 cup Blue Cheese Dressing, (recipe follows)
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Place chicken in a skillet or saucepan and add salted water to cover. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is no longer pink inside, about 10 minutes. Transfer chicken and poaching liquid to a shallow dish. Cover and refrigerate, letting chicken cool in the liquid.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, turning occasionally, about 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels and coarsely crumble.
- Cut cooled chicken into 1/2-inch dice.
- Toss lettuce in a large bowl with 1/3 cup dressing. Divide among 4 plates. Arrange chicken, bacon and tomatoes over lettuce and drizzle with remaining 1/3 cup dressing. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Per serving:
204 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 5 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 861 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (212% daily value), Vitamin C (88% dv), Folate (62% dv), Selenium (34% dv), Potassium (25% dv) and Iron (15% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat