Composed Salad with Pickled Beets & Smoked Tofu
This composed salad is an artful arrangement of greens, hard-boiled egg, smoked tofu, beets and snap peas drizzled with a cool, creamy dill dressing. It’s as pleasing to the eye as it is to the palate. We like smoked tofu, but any flavored baked tofu would work well in this recipe. Serve with iced tea.
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 30
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups torn Boston or Bibb lettuce
- 2 cups torn radicchio
- 4 hard-boiled eggs (see Tip), peeled and quartered
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 8 ounces baked smoked tofu, diced
- 1 cup diced pickled beets (see Shopping Tip)
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed and halved
- Combine sour cream, dill, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Combine lettuce and radicchio in a large bowl; divide among 4 large plates and top with equal portions of hard-boiled egg, tomato wedges, tofu, beets and snap peas. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of dressing over each salad.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 3 days.
- Tip: Eggs, how to hard-boil: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
- Shopping Tip: Look for pickled beets in a jar near other pickled vegetables in most supermarkets.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (81% daily value), Vitamin C (42% dv), Folate (33% dv), Iron (20% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv)
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat