Maryland Corn & Crab Cakes
This corn and crab cakes recipe tastes like summer by the shore. The tomato and corn salad that accompanies them is a lively addition.
Yield: 4 servings, 2 crab cakes & about 1 cup salad each
Active Time: 60
Total Time: 60
- 1 cup corn kernels (see Tip)
- 1 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat, divided
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 pound pasteurized crabmeat, drained if necessary, picked over
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided, for cooking
- 2 1/2 cups corn kernels
- 2 cups chopped ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic or white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 lemon wedges for serving
- To prepare crab cakes: Combine 1 cup corn, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, bell pepper, parsley, mustard, egg, lemon juice, dill, hot sauce and Old Bay seasoning in a large bowl. Gently mix in crabmeat. Pack a 1/2-cup measuring cup with the crab cake mixture and unmold into your hand. Pack the mixture into a ball, then gently pat into a 3-inch cake about 1 inch thick. Repeat with the remaining crab mixture, forming 8 crab cakes total.
- Place the remaining 1/2 cup breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Gently dredge both sides of each crab cake in the breadcrumbs; transfer to a large plate. (Discard any remaining breadcrumbs.) Refrigerate.
- To prepare corn salad: Combine 2 1/2 cups corn, tomatoes, red onion, 1 tablespoon oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- To cook crab cakes: Place a large baking sheet in the oven; preheat to 250°F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 4 crab cakes; cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to the baking sheet. Reduce the heat under the pan to medium-low and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Cook the remaining crab cakes until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Serve with the salad and lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2, cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
- How to Remove Corn Kernels: Stand an ear on its stem end and slice the kernels off with a sharp knife. To extract the corn “milk” and get more flavor for sauces, soups or puddings, add another step to the process: After cutting the kernels off, press the dull side of the knife down the length of the ear to push out the rest of the corn and its milk. Yield: You’ll get about 1 cup fresh kernels from one large ear of corn.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (77% daily value), Iron (39% dv), Vitamin A (37% dv), Folate (23% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Magnesium (17% dv), Calcium (16% dv)
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat