Corn & Scallion Griddlecakes
For savory breakfast lovers, these griddlecakes fit the bill. Serve them alongside jalapeño chicken sausages.
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
Yield: 6 servings, 4 cakes each
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups cooked corn kernels, (from 2-3 ears)
- 6 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated smoked Cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup tomato salsa
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Whisk egg, buttermilk, 2 teaspoons oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir in corn, scallions, cheese and jalapeño.
- Whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder and baking soda in another bowl; stir into wet ingredients.
- Brush remaining 1 teaspoon oil evenly over a large nonstick skillet; heat over medium heat. Use about 3 tablespoons of batter for each griddlecake. Working in batches, spoon batter into hot skillet and spread into 3-inch rounds. Cook until lightly browned on the bottom and set around the edges, about 2 minutes. Turn the cakes with a spatula and cook until lightly browned on the other side, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Transfer griddlecakes to an ovenproof platter, cover loosely with foil and keep warm in the oven until all of the batter is cooked. Serve hot with salsa and sour cream.
Nutrition Per Serving: 269 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber; 826 mg sodium; 412 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (21% daily value), Vitamin A (17% dv).
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat