Cornbread & Apple Stuffing
Redolent of sage and thyme, this cornbread stuffing has chunks of apples and raisins for sweet balance.
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Yield: 12 servings, about 2/3 cup each
Active Time: 40
Total Time: 170
- Wholesome Cornbread, (recipe follows)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 large stalk celery, diced (1/2 cup)
- 2 red apples, such as Cortland, diced
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup apple cider, or apple juice
- Prepare Wholesome Cornbread.
- When the cornbread has cooled, crumble into rough chunks (you should have about 6 cups). Spread the chunks and crumbs out on a large baking sheet. Toast in the oven at 350°F, stirring occasionally, until crisp but not browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add apples, golden raisins, garlic, sage and thyme; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup broth and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350°F, Coat a 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add the toasted cornbread to the apple mixture and toss to mix. Drizzle cider (or juice) and the remaining 1/2 cup broth over the mixture and toss until evenly moistened. Transfer the stuffing to the prepared baking dish and cover with foil. Bake at until heated through, 35 to 45 minutes. For a crisp top, remove the foil for the last 15 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
This Recipe Calls For:
Nutrition Per Serving: 175 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 19 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 281 mg sodium; 173 mg potassium.
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat