Cornbread & Sausage Stuffing
Cornbread stuffing, a Southern favorite, is a nice change from more traditional white-bread stuffing. Our delectable recipe uses Italian turkey sausage, rather than pork, and omits all the butter and cream to cut the fat by two-thirds. The stuffing is lower in sodium as well and so easy to make that it's sure to become a favorite side year-round.
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Yield: 12 servings, scant 1 cup each
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage, (about 4 links), casings removed
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 pounds prepared cornbread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 12 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 1/2-3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring and breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 10 minutes. Add onion and celery; cover, reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add cornbread, parsley and sage.
- Bring broth to a simmer in a small saucepan. Pour 1 cup over the stuffing mixture and toss gently (the cornbread will break into smaller pieces). Add as much of the remaining broth as needed, 1/2 cup at a time, until the stuffing feels moist but not wet. Spoon the stuffing into the prepared pan and cover with foil.
- Bake the stuffing until thoroughly heated, about 25 minutes. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Bake at 350Â°F until hot, about 30 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving: 242 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 692 mg sodium; 79 mg potassium.
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat