Couscous & Fruit Salad
Try this fruit-and-nut-studded couscous salad alongside grilled salmon or chicken for supper or on its own for a fresh lunchbox treat.
From EatingWell: July/August 2008
Yield: 4 servings, about 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups cooked whole-wheat couscous
- 1 cup chopped nectarine
- 1 cup mixed fresh berries, such as blueberries and raspberries
- 2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds, (see Tip)
- Whisk oil, orange juice, vinegar, shallots, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add cooked couscous, nectarines, berries and almonds; gently toss to combine.
- Tip: To toast sliced almonds, heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
Nutrition Per serving:
259 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 7 g fiber; 146 mg sodium; 116 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value).
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 2 fat