Feta & Spinach Couscous Patties
Feta, spinach and dill flavor these tofu patties. Slice some lemon wedges and pick up some whole-wheat pita bread to serve with this Greek-inspired meal.
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 40
Total Time: 40
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup shredded seeded cucumber
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup silken tofu
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cups sliced or torn green leaf lettuce
- Grape tomatoes, halved, for garnish
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in couscous, cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine yogurt, cucumber, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and salt in a small bowl.
- Mash tofu with a fork in a large bowl. Add spinach, feta, dill, onion, pepper, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and the couscous; stir until well combined. Form into 8 patties, using about 1/2 cup for each.
- Place a baking sheet in the oven and preheat to the lowest setting. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 4 patties and cook, turning once, until lightly golden on both sides, about 6 minutes total. Transfer to the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining oil and patties. Serve over lettuce, topped with the yogurt sauce and garnished with tomatoes, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the yogurt sauce (Step 2) for up to 6 hours.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (252% daily value), Folate (45% dv), Calcium (28% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Iron (19% dv)
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 2 fat