Tangy cranberry sauce and tart Granny Smith apples are topped with a walnut topping in this simple crisp.
From EatingWell: November/December 1998
Yield: 8 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/4 hours
- 2 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 16-ounce can whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup frozen apple-juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine apples, cranberry sauce and lemon juice in a large bowl. Transfer to a 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie pan. 3. Whisk oats, flour, walnuts, brown sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk apple-juice concentrate and oil in a small bowl until blended; drizzle over dry ingredients and mix with your fingers until moistened. Sprinkle over apples. Bake until apples are tender and top is golden, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie pan
Nutrition Per serving:
294 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 89 mg sodium; 266 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (28% daily value), Fiber (20% dv).
4 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat