Creamy Chicken Potpie
An irresistible crisp (but easy) phyllo crust tops these homey individual chicken potpies. Make a double batch and freeze extras to have on hand anytime. Serve with a butterhead lettuce salad with red onion and white-wine vinaigrette.
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 25
Total Time: 45
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 1 10- or 12-ounce bag frozen mixed vegetables (2-2 1/2 cups), thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 sheets 9-by-14-inch phyllo dough, defrosted (follow package directions)
- Cooking spray (olive oil or canola oil)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook, stirring often, until it turns white, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to a plate. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and shallots, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in vegetables and thyme; cook, stirring occasionally, until hot, 2 to 4 minutes. Pour in 1 3/4 cups broth and bring to a boil. Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup broth and cornstarch in a small bowl and add to the pan. Return to a boil and cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Off the heat, stir in the chicken, sour cream, salt and pepper. Divide the mixture among four 12-ounce ovenproof baking dishes.
- Make 2 stacks of 3 sheets of phyllo each, coating each sheet lightly with cooking spray before stacking. Cut the stacks in half crosswise. Drape one half over each baking dish. Tuck in any overhanging edges.
- Set the potpies on a baking sheet. Bake until the tops are golden and the filling bubbly, 18 to 20 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3, wrap airtight and freeze for up to 3 months. Do not thaw before baking; bake at 400°F for 50 minutes to 1 hour. Equipment: four 12-ounce ovenproof baking dishes
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (83% daily value), Folate (21% dv), Vitamin C (19% dv), Iron & Potassium (18% dv)
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetables, 3 lean meat, 1 fat