Crushed Red Potatoes with Buttermilk
This simple preparation makes a smashing and virtually labor-free alternative to traditional mashed potatoes.
From EatingWell: May/June 1996
Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed (about 6)
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cover potatoes with cold water in a large saucepan. Add salt and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes in a colander and transfer to a medium bowl. Coarsely crush the potatoes with a potato masher or the back of a large spoon. Gently stir in buttermilk and chives. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Per Serving: 88 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 314 mg sodium; 541 mg potassium.
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch