Cube Steak Milanese
The economical cube steak is elevated to new heights in this recipe. The salad, with chopped arugula, basil, tomatoes, onion and sharp Italian cheese, is the picture of summer simplicity; all it needs is olive oil and lemon to dress it.
From EatingWell: June/July 2006, EatingWell Serves Two
Yield: 4 servings, 1 steak & 1 1/2 cups salad each
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese plus 1/4 cup shaved (see Tip), divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, (optional)
- 1 pound cube steak, cut into 4 portions
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cups baby arugula, chopped
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for garnish
- Combine tomatoes, onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg and egg white in a shallow dish. Combine breadcrumbs, grated cheese and parsley (if using) in another shallow dish. Season steak with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Dip each piece into the egg, allowing excess to drip off into the dish, then dip in the breadcrumb mixture and turn to coat.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the steaks and cook until golden brown on the first side, about 3 minutes. Turn the steaks over, add 1 teaspoon oil and cook until the steaks are cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes more. Transfer to a plate; tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add 1/4 cup shaved cheese to the tomato mixture. Add the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, the remaining 3 teaspoons oil, arugula, basil and lemon juice; toss to combine. Serve the steaks on beds of the arugula-tomato salad. Garnish with lemon wedges.
- Tip: Use a vegetable peeler to shave hard Italian cheese, such as Parmesan or Pecorino Romano.
Nutrition Per serving:
348 calories; 17 g fat (5 g sat, 6 g mono); 130 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 2 g fiber; 581 mg sodium; 339 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (30% daily value), Vitamin C & Iron (25% dv), Folate (16% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 medium-fat meat