Cucumber & Black-Eyed Pea Salad
An easy salad to serve with grilled chicken or steak for supper or on a bed of greens for a satisfying lunch. Substitute white beans or chickpeas for the black-eyed peas if you prefer.
From EatingWell: May/June 2007, EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)
Yield: 6 servings, about 1 cup each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 cups peeled and diced cucumbers
- 1 14-ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed
- 2/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup slivered red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped black olives
- Whisk oil, lemon juice, oregano and pepper in a large bowl until combined. Add cucumber, black-eyed peas, bell pepper, feta, onion and olives; toss to coat. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Nutrition Per serving:
160 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 270 mg sodium; 273 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 very lean meat, 2 fat