Spicy and tangy, this cucumber and onion mixture is a refreshing accompaniment to grilled meats.
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Yield: about 3 cups
Active Time: 10
Total Time: 40
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 3/4 cup rice-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 small red onion, slivered
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Use a vegetable peeler to pare 4 lengthwise strips from each cucumber. Cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds with a small spoon and cut into thin diagonal slices.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, salt and water in a medium bowl, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Add cucumbers, onions, bell pepper, shallot and crushed red pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain vinegar from the vegetables and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 and refrigerate for up to 3 hours.
Nutrition Per Serving: 9 calories; 0 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 69 mg sodium; 24 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food