Save your favorite jam for these teatime treats.
Yield: 1 dozen scones
Active Time: 20
Total Time: 35
- 2 cups all-purpose
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup currants
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk, for brushing
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt in a large bowl. Stir together buttermilk, currants and oil in another bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and gradually stir in the buttermilk mixture.
- Pat or roll the dough on a lightly floured surface, into a round about 1/2 inch thick. With a long knife, cut the round into 12 wedges and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with milk. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Per Serving: 131 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 70 mg sodium; 87 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (15% daily value).
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit