Curried Chicken & Pasta Salad
This crowd-pleasing pasta salad is potluck-perfect for barbecue season.
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 12 ounces large whole-wheat pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, (1/2 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt, or reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup mango chutney
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into 1-inch pieces (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, (4 scallions)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook pasta in a large pot of lightly salted water until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse. Set aside.
- Toast almonds in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Return the pan to the stovetop and add curry powder. Toast, stirring constantly, over low heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in mayonnaise, yogurt, chutney, turmeric, cinnamon and ground red pepper.
- Combine chicken, raisins, scallions, celery and the reserved pasta in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt, pepper and ground red pepper. Garnish with the toasted almonds.
- Tip: To poach chicken breasts: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
Nutrition Per serving:
439 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 69 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 7 g fiber; 515 mg sodium; 577 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (20% daily value), Iron (17% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
4 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 fruit, 2 very lean meat, 1 fat