Curried Chicken Pitas
Cranberries and pear are sweet counterpoints in this tangy curried chicken salad. Toasted sliced almonds add a nutty crunch.Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 15
Total Time: 15
- 6 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 cups cooked, cubed chicken breast (see Tip)
- 1 ripe but firm pear, diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted (see Tip)
- 4 4- to 5-inch whole-wheat pita breads, cut in half
- 2 cups sprouts
- Combine yogurt, mayonnaise and curry powder in a large bowl. Add chicken, pear, celery, cranberries and almonds; toss to combine.
- Fill each pita half with 1/2 cup chicken salad and 1/4 cup sprouts.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the salad (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
- Tip: If you don’t have cooked chicken, poach about 12 ounces chicken breast for this recipe. Place boneless, skinless chicken breast in a medium skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water (or chicken broth) to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes.
- To toast sliced or slivered almonds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||7 g (1 g sat, 3 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Magnesium (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Serving 2
Exchanges 1 starch, 1 fruit, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
From EatingWell September/October 2009