Curried Chicken Salad
Chilling the poached chicken breasts in the cooking liquid ensures moist, succulent results in this curried chicken salad. Stuff into whole-wheat pita pockets with shredded lettuce.
Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours (including chilling time)
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1 1/2 pounds total), trimmed
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup mango chutney
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, or to taste
- 1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup currants, or raisins
- Bring broth and water to a boil in a large shallow pan. Add chicken and reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, until the chicken is no longer pink inside, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a shallow dish and pour the cooking liquid over the top. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour or overnight. Remove the chicken from the cooking liquid and dice.
- Stir mayonnaise, yogurt, chutney and curry powder in a medium bowl until well blended. Add the diced chicken, apple and currants (or raisins) and toss until thoroughly coated.
Nutrition Per serving:
279 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 520 mg sodium; 278 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (30% daily value).
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat